Principal roads and motorways: GLC; West Cross route, stage 2; consultants report and drawings
|Location||National Archives (see all files stored here)|
|File base||Series MT, subseries MT 106|
As part of its road plans, the Greater London Council proposed a new motorway forming the west side of the innermost ring road, Ringway 1. This road - the West Cross Route - was investigated by consultants and their findings are in this report.
See CBRD's Ringways pages for detail on the West Cross Route, much of which comes from this report.
Contents of note
- Plan diagrams of the route, detailed enough to show where each support pillar for the elevated motorway would have been placed - mostly in odd, irregular patterns to avoid the railway tracks beneath.
- Pencil sketches from an overhead viewpoint showing the motorway as it would have appeared among surrounding buildings, from Holland Park Avenue down to the Thames.
- A copy of the Draft Report, which outlined interim findings for the section between Holland Park Avenue and King's Road.
- West Cross Route: Interim Report on Stage I (1962)
- GLC/TD/DP/LDS/02/098 West Cross Route drawings Holland Park Avenue - Chelsea Basin (1970)
People with camera copies
Chris Marshall has a complete copy.