Diversion of Silver Street, Edmonton: effects on North Circular Road, North Middlesex Hospital and St David's Hospital; electrical installations
|Location||National Archives (see all files stored here)|
|File base||Series MT, subseries MT 106|
The North Circular, as built in the 1920s and 30s, was a mix of new-build and sections of existing road. It was "finished" by the mid-1930s, but only in the sense that a continuous route had been formed, and the intention was to go back and progressively improve the older sections to match the new-build ones. One existing bit of road press-ganged into the North Circular was Silver Street in Edmonton, where a short new bypass was planned to the south of the road, and a line for the bypass was protected from 1949 onwards as suburban development grew up around it.
By the late 1960s this "diversion" was in planning - but the limits of the boundaries decided in 1949 meant that it would be subject to a 50mph limit and the biggest upgrade in size or scope that could be managed (for a road that, it was now known, would be part of Ringway 2) was to provide three 12ft lanes in each direction rather than three 10ft lanes.
Much of this file is concerned with design work, comments being relayed back and forth between different departments, and the long tedious business of tendering.
Contents of note
- Much detail on the 1949 outline plan and the changes made in the late 1960s as the diversion approached construction.
- Plans indicating the wider proposals for this part of the North Circular, including the planned flyover at Great Cambridge junction and an elevated section through Fore Street to the east. Neither were built in that form.
People with camera copies
Chris Marshall has a partial copy.