|Title||Roundabouts: policy including rules and design (2 parts)|
|Date range||Not listed|
A file of miscellaneous information on the development of roundabout policy, which seems to span from the 1950s to the 1970s, though it is not dated.
Mostly it appears to be a gathering of 'new ideas' and the documentation of how trials progressed. These include early mini-roundabout schemes (circa 1971); the removal of "give way to traffic from right" signs erected before that rule became standard; placing chevron signs around the whole of a central island; left-turn lanes made using road markings instead of physical barriers, as trialled at the M1/M62 Lofthouse Roundabout; a very early give-way line marked on a roundabout at Saltaire, West Yorkshire; and photos of roundabout treatments on the A1 near Ferrybridge in the 1950s.
Contents of note
- Layout plans showing some of the above schemes, particularly the mini-roundabout and the give-way line at Saltaire.
- Archive photographs of the A1 in West Yorkshire.
Links to other files
- MT 95/484 Roundabouts design policy (1958-1967)
People with camera copies
Chris Marshall has copies of some of the more interesting documents.