Road traffic: Heads of the Valleys Road Scheme; miscellaneous correspondence.
|Location||National Archives (see all files stored here)|
|File base||Series BD, subseries BD 24|
Between 1955 and 1960 detailed planning took place for the reconstruction of the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road between Abergavenny and Hirwaun. A new three-lane single-carriageway road was to be provided for the full 24-mile length, replacing the existing inadequate trunk road, as part of a wider scheme to improve road links between South Wales and the Midlands.
This file covers the run-up to construction work, including some of the politics surrounding its presence in the road programme. Despite the date range against which it is listed, it also contains papers and correspondence continuing to at least 1966.
Contents of note
- Details of the inauguration ceremony at the start of work in 1960, including briefing notes describing the background of the scheme in detail and the text of Lord Brecon's speech
- Artist's impression of the bridge over the Usk
- Numerous MOT press releases describing the start of work on each stage and the change of plan to use a section of abandoned railway for the road
- Details of opening ceremonies, including text of speeches and press cuttings
People with camera copies
Chris Marshall has a partial copy.