Section 1 Brynmawr to Abergavenny: letting of contract
|Location||National Archives (see all files stored here)|
|File base||Series MT, subseries MT 123|
In 1961, a year into the contract to build Section I of the new Heads of the Valleys Road, the contractor John Morgan ran into serious difficulty. Over the course of the contract there were prolonged delays and engineering problems, which almost put the company out of business.
This is one of two files discussing those issues, and predominantly contains the monthly progress reports submitted to the MOT by the consulting engineers' site engineer.
Contents of note
- Original letter from J Morgan to the MOT accepting the contract
- Letter from consulting engineers to MOT explaining that Morgan's tender was clearly too low, but advising they accept it anyway
- Minutes of meetings held in 1968 as discussions over extra work and remuneration were still ongoing
Links to other files
- MT 39/1071 MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS AND NEW CONSTRUCTION: Port Talbot BC: Heads of the Valleys Road Brynmawr to Abergavenny section: contract documents (1959)
- MT 123/171 Section 1 Brynmawr to Abergavenny: contractor's request for financial assistance (1963-1965)
People with camera copies
Chris Marshall has a partial copy.